Meadowsweet is a beautiful aromatic flower and herb with a sweet almond smell. MS goes by various names, but most know this flower as Queen of the Meadow and it belongs to the Rosaceae family. It’s native to West Asia and Europe but is now cultivated in North America. The chemical make-up consists of flavone glycosides, salicylic acid (which is used as a pain killer and was used in 1890 to make aspirin), tannins and essential oils. The volatile oil in the flower contains phenolic glycosides (which play numerous roles in living organisms) (monotropin, spiraein and gaultherin, tannins, flavonoids, muciliage, sugar and vitamin C.
The Health Benefits:
- Treat colds & fevers: The presence of anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties makes this flower an effective aid for treating respiratory problems, coughing, sore throats and wheezing. Research shows that the roots from the flower possess immunomodulatory activities. Meadowsweet has high amounts of phenolic compounds along with flavonoid glycosides. These extracts help block complement cascade activation and T-cell proliferation which prevent any production of free radicals. Wow very powerful chemicals and all from a beautiful flower!
- Lowers inflammation: Meadowsweet has a high salicylates content, which acts as an anti-inflammatory and very effective for rheumatic pain.
- Digestive aid: MS is a tonic for digestive health and used often to relieve acid indigestion, reflux, heartburn peptic ulceration, gastritis and promotes the healing process for ulcers. How it works…The plant can actually soothe and protect the mucous membranes of the digestive tract and stomach lining, which as a result, lowers acidity.
- Helps prevent bacterial infections: MS extracts effectively treat bacterial infections. These extracts are so powerful that they eradicate harmful infections caused by E. Coli, Staphylococcus aureus, staphylococcus epidermidi and proteus vulgaris. The extract is also great for treating skin conditions such as acne, eczema and psoriasis. MS comes prepared in a variety of ways to treat many conditions. Teas, tinctures, ointments and homeopathic preparations are all common ways to purchase and use this flower.
- Cures fevers: MS root is great for soothing fevers and easing pain with migraines and headaches. Amazingly the analgesic compounds have similar effects as aspirin.
- Treatment for diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome: in both adults and children.
- Antioxidant activity: Because of the high amounts of antioxidants in the plant, it helps reverse overall damage caused by free radicals and helps prevent oxidative stress all which make us age from the inside out. Sweetesse Arctic Meadowsweet Extract shows many benefits for the skin. MS is a polyphenol found in damp meadows of the North and is an efficient oxygen radical scavenger with a high content of phenolic compounds for combating wrinkles, sun damage, age spots and numerous skin conditions.