Frequently Asked Questions
What are superfoods?
A superfood is a nutrient-dense, calorie-sparse food that benefits health and well-being. Superfoods are usually exotic and are not commonly found in your conventional grocery store. We believe that the best superfoods are certified organic, non-GMO, and raw. A key superfood characteristic is being incredibly high in antioxidants, vitamins or other phytochemicals that are a diminishing part of the standard American diet. Many of our superfoods have been a staple of indigenous cultures for thousands of years. The people consuming them felt the benefits and understood the positive impact they had. It is our quest to make these foods available to everyone who wants a natural solution to improve their energy, immunity, longevity, and overall well-being.
What are bushfoods?
Bushfoods, also known as bush “tucker,” are a subset of superfoods that are native to Australia and have been used for thousands of years by the indigenous cultures– the Aboriginals– for sustenance and medicinal purposes. Examples of bush foods include the fruits Quandong Peach, Kakadu Plum, Davidson Plum, and Riberry.
What are the health benefits of bushfoods?
Like most superfoods, bushfoods are foods packed with very highly concentrated amounts of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They pack a big punch, meaning you only have to eat a handful to get an enormous amount of nutrients, including essential vitamins such as A, B, C, D, E, K and minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc and enzymes. Generalized benefits of bushfoods include:
- support of a healthy immune system
- enhancing antioxidant levels
- anti-aging benefits
- increasing health and wellness
- energizing and re-vitalizing
- assisting proper hormonal balance
- encouraging clarity and overall mental function
- helping to maintain a healthy weight
What are the specific health benefits of bushfoods?
- Kakadu Plum has the highest recorded levels of vitamin C of any fruit in the world. It measures up to 100 times the vitamin C found in an orange. It exhibits outstanding antioxidant capacity, being 5.2 times more potent than the blueberry. Kakadu plum contains phytochemicals including gallic and ellagic acids. Gallic acid has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal activities and shows anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, antimutagenic and anti-bronchodilator activities. Ellagic acid has anti-carcinogenic effects against a wide range of carcinogens in many human tissues.
- Davidson Plum is an excellent source of potassium, a mineral which helps our muscles move, our nerves fire, and our kidneys filter out toxins. It is also a great source of Vitamin E and Zinc, two nutrients required for glowing, youthful looking skin. Davidson Plum is also an antioxidant powerhouse, containing high levels of anthocyanin, which improves cognitive function and protects against certain cancers and heart disease.
- Quandong Peach is made up of 25% protein and 70% complex oils, and is a rich source of phenolic-based antioxidants, which help boost the immune system, reduce inflammation and protect against numerous diseases including cancer, cardiovascular disease and Alzheimer’s disease. It also contains rutin, a strong antioxidant that can help reduce the proliferation of free radicals. Rutin works with vitamin C to strengthen capillaries, reduce dark circles under the eyes, and strengthen the skin from the effects of aging.
- Riberry is a rich source of folate, which is needed for healthy growth and development and is essential for the healthy development of a baby during pregnancy. It is an important plant source of calcium and ontains high levels of anthocyanins, a potent antioxidant that is thought to improve cognitive function and protect against certain cancers, heart and Alzheimer’s diseases.
- Ahiflower Oil is not a bushfood, but we include it with our other superfoods because it is a unparalleled vegan source of essential omega 3,6,9 fatty acids. Unlike fish and flaxseed oils, Ahiflower contains GLA, an omega-6 associated with skin health, hormonal balance and inflammation reduction. Ahiflower oil is clinically proven to be 300-400% more effective in omega-3 EPA conversion than flaxseed oil. Ahiflower oil also has a clean taste and aroma and no “yuck factor”— no fishy burps or after taste. While a month’s supply of typical Peruvian fish oil takes about 60 fish out of the ocean, a month’s supply of Ahiflower oil only takes about 60 square feet of sustainably managed, non-GMO Ahiflower seed crop to grow year after year.
How do I eat bushfoods?
You can enjoy bushfoods in several ways. We offer them in a freeze-dried, concentrated powder format that you can use as a nutritional supplement in smoothies, yogurts and chia puddings, or as a garnish on top of hot soups. Our website and book, Project You, offers many recipes. It is recommended that bushfoods not be heated in order to maximize their health benefits. Only use 1/4 teaspoon per serving. Yes, they’re that potent.
What is our company's mission?
Bushfoods is part of a larger lifestyle brand called Project You (www.projectyoubewell.com), whose mission is to inspire, guide, and motivate people on their journey to true health and longevity by engaging the three pillars of wellness– internal (nutrition and gut health), physical (exercise and sleep) and emotional (mindfulness and mental health). Our Project You brand includes e-commerce, superfood products, books and summits.
What is our social mission?
Indigenous people living in Australia have systematically lost access to their lands and natural resources since colonization. This loss of traditional hunting and fishing areas has constrained access to nutritious and fresh sources of food, resulting in poor health. Project You aims to give power and resources back to the indigenous people. We believe it’s our responsibility to ensure the farmers and indigenous communities we partner with are benefitting in the long term. We want our farmers to scale with us and to enrich the lives of the people in their local areas. As we grow, they will too. Our goal is to bring to market native food products that promote Australian indigenous communities in the best way possible. Greg, our head of bio-botanical research, visits our partner farms to see their operations and to offer guidance with his expertise. To witness these rural and often remote villages in person helps keep our mission in perspective.
Why did we start the company?
Our founder, Neely Mack, is an entrepreneur and women’s health advocate who turned to alternative medicine when traditional Western doctors could not help her find the source, of or the cure for, several health issues, including chronic fatigue, depression, and hair loss. Under the guidance of a nutritionist, Neely learned about the connection between gut health and mental/physical health. She started her company, Project You, in 2018 as a way to promote her message of true health and wellness, from the inside out.
What makes our bushfoods unique?
Our bushfoods are full of vitamins and minerals that come from raw ingredients, globally and sustainably sourced and that are organic and additive free. We carefully source and select our collection based on its fine quality and we regularly test all our products to ensure only the highest standards. We are so proud to be making nature’s whole foods accessible and available to all.
Where are our products grown?
Our products are globally and sustainably sourced. Our bushfoods are wild harvested in Australia by local indigenous farmers. Our Ahiflower oil is wild harvested in the U.K. The origin of each product varies and details about each can be found by following the link in the product pages to our individual product details at https://projectyoubewell.com/superfoods/.
Do we offer sample products?
We do offer samples of our products. Please contact us at email@example.com.
Where can you buy our products?
Consumers seeking to purchase our products can order direct from our website or on Amazon. If ordering online, simply add the products to cart and complete the checkout process. Once the order is complete, you will receive confirmation via e-mail.
Can our products be ordered outside of the USA?
We currently ship internationally through our website. Our international shipping rates vary depending on country. For details on shipping rates see our shipping FAQ below.
How do you track an order?
You should receive a tracking number once your order is fulfilled. If for any reason you don’t please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are our products Organic?
Our products are not “certified” organic, but they are “Wild Harvested,” meaning they have been collected by hand from a ‘wild’ or unmanaged ecosystem. Similar to the way hunter-gatherers would forage for food in ancient times, Wild-Harvesting involves getting out into nature and picking native foods. For example, our Kakadu Plum is Wild Harvested by Indigenous communities from remote coastal regions in Western and Northern Australia.
Wild Harvested bushfoods are natural and organic because they have not been grown with any chemicals or pesticides.
Are our products Raw?
All of our products are considered “raw” meaning they are low temperature processed to retain as many nutrients as possible. We work closely with our suppliers to ensure the lowest temperature processing for our premium superfoods.
Are our products non-GMO?
Yes, all our products are free of genetically modified ingredients.
Are our products Kosher?
All our ingredients are to kosher standards.
Are our products handled in a GMP facility?
All our products are handled in a GMP facility.
Does the facility handle allergens?
Our products are not manufactured with gluten, wheat, yeast, soy, milk, nuts, eggs or shellfish. They are packaged in a facility which may handle these ingredients.
Do our products contain sulphites?
No, our products do not contain any sulphites.
What is the shelf life on our products?
Most of our products have an 18-24 month shelf life. The ‘Best By’ stamp on the back of the bag can be read: Month/Day/Year.
How should bushfoods be stored?
Refrigeration is not required for most of our products. We recommend that you store superfoods in a cool, dark, dry place. Details can be found on the packaging of each product.
Do we have an affiliate Program?
We do not have an official affiliate program but we are always interested to hear about collaborating with insiders to help spread the word and educate on the power of superfoods. We are keen to hear from fitness, nutrition or culinary experts, professional or competitive athletes and prominent bloggers, social and media influencers.
MEDIA AND PRESS RELATED ENQUIRIES
For information about media and press, please contact us via email to email@example.com.
We hope this information has been helpful to you and as we said at the beginning, don’t hesitate to contact us if we can help you further!